Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Rehab is for Quitters




This is my new favorite picture of Harper Jo. In fact, it's now my desktop background. The beauty of it is not just in the circumstance (that she's reaching into a cooler for a bottle of wine) but in the timing. A split second before or after and we would've missed that perfect, dazed look: eyebrows raised, eyelids drooping ever so slightly. That "I'm really drunk but it's a holiday so I better keep drinking" face. In college, my friend Tyler wore that face so much, I think it's probably in the yearbook.

But somehow, it's her expressionless mouth that clinches it. There's not even the slightest hint of a smile. Just a pure debauched haze. That's what pulls the whole image together for me.

In her face, I see the following statement: "Huh? Oh, yeah. No, I'm okay. Just getting another bottle of hootch."

No comments: