Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Birthday Bash

We recently celebrated Harper's first birthday with a big party and it was a smashing success. I have to admit that prior to the big day, I was very nervous and a bit skeptical that we'd be able to pull together everything McCall had planned. There were a lot of elements and it felt like the final task on the Apprentice!

The first major job we undertook was converting the dead wasteland that existed between our building and our neighbor's into a fun family side yard. Here are before and after images:

Before


After


In addition, we had three kiddie sized pools out front, sidewalk chalk, a baby swing, several play areas and a mini petting zoo. The petting zoo featured four ducklings, two bunnies, a baby pig, and a goat.

Here are some pictures of our front yard in the midst of all the birthday commotion:

Kiddie Pool

This bully wouldn't let anybody else near the pool.


Petting Zoo

It's hard to tell, but there really are animals in there.


General Frivolity

You could've cut the fun with a knife!


One of the highlights of the day was our good friend Eric Bryant performing Harper's baby dedication. A baby dedication is basically our public declaration as parents that we will do our best to raise Harper with the understanding that she belongs to God, not to us. We will attempt to love her in the same unconditional way that God loves us.

Big thanks to Eric!

It really seemed like everybody had a great time and we were so thankful for all our friends and family who joined us. Thanks for making Harper's first the best birthday she's ever had.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

OK, let me start by admitting that I have not visited your blof before. Generally, I don't like blog sites. They seem self-centered at best; a waste of time at worst. Have you seen the new Gico commercials: "There are better ways to spend 15 minutes on line"? That about sums it up for me. That said, I visited yours at the urging of someone who will remain nameless, figuring, "OK, get in, get out quick; minimum waste of time." That was half an hour age. I read all your postings, and was disappointed there weren't more. I realized in the short time we've spent together there was a real sense of humor hidden under that mild demeanor, but I had no idea you were such a good writer. When I was sending messages from overseas, I seldom got responses. It wasn't until we returned that virtually everyone on my mailing list told me how much they had enjoyed my stories. My thought was, "Oh great, now you tell me. It would have been nice to know that during the hours in front of the computer writing and rewriting." Well, now you know, you have at least one (two, counting Laurie) appreciative readers. We'll be checking every few days for new postings. Keep it up. If nothing else, they will be a treasure for Harper Jo all her life.